The Zephyr Banjo was part of the Electar Zephyr range of instruments including the Zephyr Mandolin, Electar Zephyr Hawaiian Lap Steel Guitar , Zephyr Archtop Guitar and Zephyr Amplifier. This line of instruments was available in "complete outfits" or "starter packs" as we know them today. These outfits typically included the instrument, case, amplifier and a cord. Zephyr amplifers were available in AC or AC-DC models. The Zephyr Banjo was also available in Plectrum and Tenor versions.
Like its guitar counterpart, the Zephyr Banjo was outfitted with an Epiphone Master pickup and a Mastervoicer control. It also sported the metal "Bikini" logo plate, as did the rest of the Zephyr series at the time.
The Zephyr Mandolin retailed for $100.00 in 1939 The Zephyr Mandolin AC outfit retailed for $189, while the AC-DC outfit cost $204.50.
See Also: Zephyr Series
- Electar Banjo 1937-1938
- Renamed to Zephyr Banjo 1939-1954
- Zephyr Tenor Banjo (short-scale)
- Zephyr Plectrum Banjo (long-scale)
- Epiphone Master pickup
- 1 Epiphone Mastervoicer tone control
- 1 Volume control
- Curly maple top
- Maple back & sides
- 5-ply pyralin body binding
- Single-ply pyralin neck binding
- Maple neck
- Rosewood fingerboard with block inlays
- Metal "Epiphone" logo plate
- 4:1 ratio banjo tuners
- Tortoise shell pickguard
- White carousel knobs on Mastervoicer plate
- Trapeze tailpiece